UC4A Volunteer Board
Purpose of the UC African American Alumni Affiliate
The UC African American Alumni Affiliate (4A) provides Black alumni with an important link to other alumni, students and the entire UC community. The network represents over 18,000 living African American alumni and is led by a volunteer alumni board. It conducts a number of activities throughout the year, including its annual Onyx & Ruby Gala, networking opportunities, educational events for students and alumni, community service and outreach and more!
UC4A Board Positions and Committees
The UC African American Alumni Affiliate Executive Committee is comprised of the Chair, Vice Chair, Communications Chair, Finance Chair and Immediate Past Chair. Each member of this group serve on one of the other network committees. A member of the executive committee presides at all meetings and, with the leadership committee, is responsible to work with the staff liaison on general supervision of the network. The executive committee represents the network at official functions.
- Preside at all meetings, and shall chair the Executive Board meetings
- Be the primary representative to the UCAA, University of Cincinnati, and the community
- Develop strategic planning for UC4A
- Represent or appoint a representative for UC4A to all UCAA network events and trainings
- In the absence or disability of the Chair, or at the Chair’s request, shall perform the duties of the Chair
- Be an ex-officio member of all standing committees
- Serve as liaison for the Homecoming committee and community service project
- Work with the UCAA liaison to send out notices of meetings and be responsible for taking minutes and agendas of all Executive Board and general body meetings
- Work with the UCAA liaison to send announcements of activities for publicity in UCAA and UC publications
- Make sure social media, web, newsletters, etc. are reviewed and updated
- Make financial reports and communicate the financial conditions of the organization to the Executive Board and the general body during regular meetings
- Create an annual budget based on known events and expenses incurred by the organization
Onyx & Ruby Gala Chair
- Work with the UCAA liaison to confirm date, venue and other operational tasks
- Facilitate the Onyx & Ruby Awards nomination process, as well as develop the award selection committee
- Serve as the point of contact for the honorees for the event
The Programming Committee shall organize, plan and implement activities and events of the 4A. Activities of the programming shall be focused around building the alumni/undergraduate relationship, increasing the number of alumni actively involved with the 4A and providing networking opportunities for alumni.
The Membership Committee shall be responsible for the recruitment of new members for the University of Cincinnati Alumni Association. The Membership Committee shall work in conjunction with the Programming Committee in the development of programs and activities to increase the membership of the University of Cincinnati Alumni Association.
The Public Relations Committee shall oversee all external communications for the organization, including, but not limited to, event announcements and promotions, membership solicitations, press releases and advertisements. Approved by the Alumni Association.
The Fundraising Committee is responsible for generating additional monies for current and future operating expenses.
The University Affairs Committee is responsible for dealing with internal issues for undergraduate and graduate students of the university.